Natural Gas Safety

If you suspect a natural gas leak:

- Leave the area and immediately call RG&E at 1-800-743-1702 or 911 

RG&E will respond quickly to ensure that you and your family are safe.

Do not smoke or operate electrical switches or appliances. These items may produce a spark that might ignite the natural gas and cause an explosion.

Provide the exact location, including cross streets.

Let RG&E know if sewer construction or digging activities are going on in the area.

A natural gas leak is usually recognized by smell, sight, or sound. 


Natural gas is colorless and odorless. For your safety, a distinctive sulfur-like odor, similar to rotten eggs, is added so that you’ll recognize it quickly. Not all transmission lines are odorized.


You may see a white cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water or blowing dust. You may also see vegetation that appears to be dead or dying for no apparent reason.


You may hear an unusual noise like roaring, hissing, or whistling.

Prevention Guidelines: 

- Install CO detectors in your home

- Have your heating system and chimney, flues and vents checked once a year by a professional and purchase a carbon monoxide (CO) detector.

- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for the operation and care of natural gas equipment.

- Never use a natural gas range or oven to heat a home.

- Check to ensure that natural gas appliance flues and vents are free of debris (leaves, bird nests, snow and ice).

- Keep combustible materials away from furnaces, water heaters, ranges, dryers and other natural gas appliances.

Source: RG&E