Marriage Licenses

Town justices are authorized to perform wedding ceremonies throughout New York State. In order for the town justice to perform a wedding, the couple must have a marriage license issued by the town clerk. The license must have been issued:
  • More than 24 hours before the commencement of the ceremony
  • No more than 60 days prior to the commencement of the ceremony
At least one witness is required to be present at the ceremony to sign the marriage license.


Generally, each judge has a standard civil ceremony that he or she uses. The law does not require any particular ceremony be used. Although each judge uses a standard ceremony, that ceremony can be altered to fit the wishes of the couple.


It is suggested that you contact your preferred judge sufficiently in advance of your wedding date to ensure the judge's availability on that date.